Thursday, December 2, 2010

Blog Reflection #3


Blog: Alternative Education Resource Organization
Title: Profound Slam Poetry Performance by Four Students on Standardized Testing (VIDEO)
Entry Posted: November 15th, 2010

This blog posted a video relaying the opinions of some students who go to school in Albuquerque public schools. Miguel Figueroa, Reed Bobroff, Olivia Gatwood, and Khalid Binsunni express their viewpoints through a poem at a poetry slam. These students composed a “Love Letter to Albuquerque Public Schools” in order to accurately portray their feelings on standardize testing. The students talk courageously about their opinions of not only the test but also their opinions of the test coordinators.  
The student’s performance reflects the much-debated topic on standardized tests. Throughout class we have often discussed standardized testing in relation to No Child Left Behind and Race to The Top and the negative effects testing can inflict on students. Much of the testing used to measure the effectiveness of the reforms affects the total curriculum taught to students and they are merely taught to the test. Standardized tests also limit the deep learning because tests are just based off the memorization of facts. In the video the students directly speak about their dislike of the lack of creativity. The accountability of standardized testing is a very debatable subject too. The students also cleverly stated that they feel that the tests are just labeling them a number and not really thinking of their individuality. Lastly, in class we also discussed the role of neo-liberalism, the students adversely spoke of the neo-liberal philosophies directing the testing. Overall, standardized testing affects many aspects of students’ education and additionally teachers are incredibly affected by standardize testing.  
I feel that the video was very captivating and creative. The students were very courageous to portray their ideas in such a bold fashion. I strongly agree with their presentation and their ideas presented. As a student I felt the same lack of creativity and lack of individualism. As a prospective educator I see why the students reference segregated education and their play on lack of color. The students were very creative in symbolizing their trapped feelings towards the test by linking their arms together. One thing that I did dislike about their slam was the fact that the students swore; I just thought that that was an unnecessary way to portray their feelings.
            The students that created this video align with a student-centered perspective. The students believe that for learning to be effective learning must also be enjoyable; these students strongly deem that the current curriculum is not enjoyable or effective. Throughout the video the students also present the concept that student’s individual needs must be accounted for to permit optimal learning. It is obvious that the students’ view that standardized testing is not catering to student’s personal needs and therefore not profiting optimal learning. The video itself expresses that the students view their opinions superior and acknowledge that student-centered learning is greatest. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved everything about “A Love Letter to Albuquerque Public Schools” video. We all know standardized testing is a topic constantly discussed in our class, in government, between teachers, at home, and even between students. Generally people have a negative view of the amount of testing students go through, especially those in high school. Most of these views are portrayed through letters or just casual discussion. I have heard of very few times where students have taken a significant stand against No Child Left Behind or any other aspects of our current education system. But this poetry slam is something original. Not only can we take away from the poem that these students have really done their research about standardized testing, but it’s undeniable how passionate they are about the topic. If we found a new way to make each student feel like they really matter, not just that their ‘intelligence is a number written on their forehead’, imagine the possibilities that would result. These four students are the prime example of how anyone can use creativity to express himself or herself, and even learn for that matter. Maybe we can take this as a lesson for a new approach to evaluating the “intelligence” of our youth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off I would just like to say kudos to those students who made that poetry slam video. As you stated, that was very courageous of them to take such a bold stance on standardized testing. I think that videos like this and statements from students in general are vital in trying to fix the problems with standardized testing. The more that students voices can be heard about their dislike to the unfair treatment of standardized tests, the better. I am actually quite curious to know the type of response this video received from the test coordinators, administration, local media, etc. I too think that it was extremely unnecessary and inappropriate for those students to swear in their poetry slam. I completely understand their anger and frustrations with standardized testing, but swearing does not make it more powerful or effective. Thanks for sharing this awesome post and blog entry!

    ReplyDelete